History

The practice was started by Dr MacFadyean (senior) in 1922 before the introduction of the NHS in 1948, from the present premises, 74 Herne Hill, which was his family home. There are still many patients who remember consulting with him at that time in these premises. Drs Anderson and Byrne later joined him in practice in 1948.

On his retirement, his son, Dr Michael MacFadyean, who had previously practiced in Tulse Hill, joined the practice, which had moved to 68 Herne Hill, when 74 was bombed during the war. Dr MacFadyean ran the business side, of the practice until his retirement in the mid 1985 by which time there were four partners, progressively increased to the present six between 1987 and 2000. Dr Anderson retired in 1988 after 40 years with the practice. The first female doctor joined the practice in 1985.

The lease ran out on 68 Herne Hill in 1985, so the practice needed to find a new home. Dr MacFadyean wanted to continue the link with his family and for the practice to have a permanent home after his retirement. His family subsequently sold 74 Herne Hill to the practice and a cost rent conversion was completed in March 1985. Improvements were made to the building in 1989, and the entire premises were refurbished and extended in 1998. The Addition of a lift in 2007 made the premises accessible to disabled patients.